Here’s what to do next.
Posted by MIS Blog (September 19, 2013) – Courtesy of IBAO
Accidents happen and vehicle collisions, whether large or small, can be very stressful and overwhelming. The first thing to do if you are involved in any sort of accident is to remain calm. Call 911 immediately if someone is hurt, if you believe the other driver is a dangerous offender or if there is significant damage to either vehicle.
Immediately move your car off the main roadway and turn on your hazard lights. Most importantly, NEVER admit fault of the accident, sign any documents regarding fault or promise to pay for the damages.
On site, remember to take down the following information:
- - Date, time, location and road/weather conditions
- - A brief description of what you believe happened
- - The driver’s name, driver’s license number, address and telephone number
- - The owner’s name, driver’s license number, address and telephone number
- - The vehicle make, model, year and license plate number
- - A brief description of the damage on each vehicle
- - The driver’s insurance company name, policy number, broker name and policy expiration
IBC has made it easy with this convenient form which you can fill out following your accident and send to your broker so they have all the information on file.
Remember, brokers are easier and faster to reach now more than ever. Many now have mobile apps which you can use if you are involved in an accident. You can contact your broker directly from the app; you can report an accident, take photos, report claims and more. Contact your broker for assistance in downloading the app today.
Blog brought to you by: Greg Kruk, BComm, CPIB, CIP, T-1.888.231.2011 F-705.277.1611 , Brooklin Office – 905.425.0729