What is lurking in your toothpaste?

It is a good idea to check out the ingredients in your toothpaste and even more so if you have young children in your family that may be swallowing as they brush.  Many brands of toothpaste contain toxic ingredients when ingested or absorbed.

Although many dentists insist that sodium fluoride is necessary to help prevent cavities, fluoride is a known neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, developmental toxin and a carcinogen. Even the FDA considers fluoride “an unapproved drug”.  Too much fluoride can cause discoloration of the tooth enamel or fluorosis.  If a child swallowed a tube of fluoridated toothpaste it could be extremely toxic  and dangerous.  Perhaps safer methods to promote dental health can be used rather than the toxin, fluoride.

Other ingredients to avoid are: sodium lauryl sulphate, a strong degreasing agent,  triclosan, although very antibacterial it is also a dangerous pesticide, harming our health and environment,  parabens which are used as preservatives but are also hormone disruptors,  propylene glycol which helps keep the paste moist but is an irritant,  FD & C Blue Dye #1, #2 etc, artificial colourings easily absorbed and known to cause allergic reactions and even cancer.

Like the food you eat, you should also check out what is in your toothpaste. Artificial sweeteners should also be avoided.  Take a few minutes and look at your toothpaste’s ingredients the next time you brush your teeth! Be informed.

Blog brought to you by:  Barbara Spencer, The Ninety Ninth Monkey, 905-620-0399, info@theninetyninthmonkey.com